Friday, July 10, 2009

Pizza Time!



TMNT IV: Turtles in Time is one of my personal favorites. Based on the 4 player arcade classic, the SNES version has the reputation of being one of the best beat'em ups of all time.

Of course, with all this popularity, a remake was inevitable, and so goes the transformation from this:

teenage_mutant_ninja_turtles-turtles_in_time-2.jpg

To this:

TMNT-TIT09-Screenshot-PirateShip2.jpg

Now I look at this, and while I'm somewhat excited, I also find myself a bit torn. I'm very much under the impression that no matter how impressive 3D gets, it'll never be able to capture the personality of 2d, and while this seems to capture the brawling, Foot Soldier flinging, "Cowabunga!" filled awesome of the original (arcade!) version, something seems a bit flat. May just be me though. Perhaps it's the absence of that rumbling, screen shaking effect that made every slam so tangible and meaty in the home version?

I'll likely be all over this come June 22nd, so I'll reserve any further thoughts until then. Comparison vid below..

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, TMNT in 3D bites fried monkey dick. Now that the graphics are obviously not the high of the remake, is there some kind of story that attempts to salvage it?

    ReplyDelete